St. Bridget’s Convent is a private girls’ school situated in Colombo 7. It was founded in 1902 by the Sisters of the Good Shepherd Congregation, who administer it to this day.
The school is located at C W W Kannangara Mawatha, and comprises a Collegiate, Primary and Montessori school. In addition, the Convent and Chapel, as well as the Montessori Training Centre, also form an integral part of the school.
The school is dedicated to her Patroness, St. Bridget, whose feast is commemorated on the 1st of February each year. On this day, holy mass is followed by the investiture ceremony for the incoming board of prefects.
Discipline is a key feature of the educational process at St. Bridget’s, and this is aptly embodied in the School motto, which is “Gently and Firmly”. The school colours are Green and White, and the school flag pays tribute to its Irish roots that are fondly cherished even now.
St. Bridget’s Convent has weathered many a storm in its more than century-long existence, but has managed to maintain its integrity and independence throughout. It is still completely privately funded, and makes its own administrative decisions.
Extra-curricular activities are encouraged among Bridgetines, who have consistently maintained high standards in sports, drama, debating, and other events. The school believes that students should be encouraged to develop a well-balanced personality through participation in these activities. The school provides many facilities for students to acquire these skills.